Saturday, 20 January 2018

Boundary issues

The rain stopped and I was able to resume giving the front boundary hedge its annual trim. It is mainly hawthorn and blackthorn with some dogwood in places. Our road frontage is about 200m long (that is an eighth of a mile) which is a lot of hedge to trim. 

It’s just about established now and puts on about 4 or 5 feet of whippy growth during the summer and my job today was to bring it back down to its annual starting height. I trim the sides first which makes it easier to access and trim the top for a level finish. I can see the previous year’s cuts on the top of the hedge and use them as a height guide.

A couple of sections of the boundary hedge:-









Trimming the top hard back has the effect of producing side shoots and gradually thickening out the sides of the hedge. It has been planted between two rows of post and rail fencing which also provide a guide for trimming it width-wise. We have added rabbit proof fencing to the outer posts and rails to reduce the risk of their destructive incursions.

Because the hedge is a distance from the house, and because blackthorn stems can be quite tough, I use a petrol hedge trimmer for portability and power. It works very well but is heavy to use, especially having to trim above head height. Hard work for someone with an asthenic build like mine.

All the trimmings went into my new wood chipper, bought at half price. It didn’t take long to put together and get started with it (if you discount the 45 minutes before I decided I needed to resort to the instruction manual). It did the job well and got through quite an amount of material. The chippings were spread around the chicken run so were made good use of. Another winter maintenance job ticked off the list.



Christmas Rose in full flower right now
for added January cheer.