Monday 16 July 2018

Leaking vulvas

The title of this post is not as gratuitous as it might seem. It literally is the topic of interest. The fact of the matter is that after a run of successes my last two attempts at artificial insemination with my saddleback sows have not been successful. This is rather disappointing because it is often not obvious that a sow is pregnant until quite late in the pregnancy, and by the time you know the outcome much time has been lost before you are ready to try again. It would not be right for me to inseminate more than one one at a time to improve your chances that one has taken because the risk is you end up with an inordinate number of piglets to consider what to do with. It also meant that a few expectant recipients of weaners to grow on were left disappointed at the failure to produce.

As I have written previously, the challenge is that sows are in season for just two or at most three days each 21 day cycle. It means that you have to be very observant to detect the right moment and also ensure that the requisite semen has been ordered and received in time to administer. The main signs of being in season are a reddened and swollen vulva and this is sometimes accompanied by a restlessness indicating the sow is in heat. A further test (but in my experience not dependable) is the sow standing still for you as you press down on the rear end of its back. 

The problem with all this with black pigs (saddlebacks are mostly black) is that reddening of the vulva is not apparent. I have also found that the sows I have kept don't obviously swell up and, if at all, it is only marginal. Daily observation of the rear end is necessary for an extended period of time because you ideally need to know if the sow's cycle is regular so that you can anticipate the date for ordering the semen.  

All this being said, the clearest noticeable sign of being in season in my experience is fluid leaking from the vulva so this is what I particularly look out for. It was the turn of our youngest sow (Edyth) to try for her first litter. I began the insemination of the first of the three semen 'doses' on 11th July. By my calculation, all being well, she should be due on 4th November (three months, three weeks and three days later or 115 days). 

Encouraging signs from Edyth's vulva
prior to insemination

If it does not take again then I'm seriously considering getting a boar who I'm sure will have a better idea than me on these matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment