Tuesday 18 December 2018

Club hammer phenomenon

A smallholder friend recently commented that he had to buy yet another club hammer and that somewhere dotted around his holding are likely to be found all the other club hammers he owns. 

I know the feeling. I recently came across a club hammer myself I’d lost (and subsequently replaced) nearly two years ago. It was by that fence post that was loose. 

The problem is that there are jobs to do out in the fields sometimes some distance from the workshop. It’s so easy to put a small hand tool down and incredibly you simply can’t find it again. 

Many people are of the view that any self-respecting gardener or smallholder will always carry a pen knife in their pocket for the many occasions it is inevitably called upon. The club hammer phenomenon means this just doesn’t work for me. I lost my cherished Swiss Army Knife which always managed to keep a sharp blade. I assume I’ve put it down mid-task rather than directly back in my pocket and now it’s lost. 

Now, rather than carry a knife with me constantly, I have several Stanley or craft knives dotted around in strategic locations instead:-
  1. In the feed shed for opening up feed sacks.
  2. In the barn for cutting the baler twin to open up bales of hay.
  3. In the greenhouse for cutting string for tying in tomato plants.
  4. In the workshop for miscellaneous cutting tasks.
  5. Another one in the workshop reserved for tasks for which Stanley Knives are actually intended for.
This is a solution that works well for me. But I do miss my Swiss Army Knife.

Its somewhere


7 comments:

  1. My small Swiss army knife is attached to my keyring. I find it invaluable. I hope you find your knife again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a hint for a Christmas present? I hope everyone in your family reads it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it is not another club hammer.

      Delete
  3. I have often thought gardening tools should be painted bright pink. I never understand why they paint them green or even brown. I find tools years after I have lost them somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve seen pink wheel barrows for sale but I’ve not been tempted, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Philip. The silage bales here are often covered with pink and purple plastic and a percentage of the price goes to breast and prostate cancer charities .

    ReplyDelete