Thursday 30 August 2018

Return of the flock

Today I brought back home our small flock of Wiltshire Horn sheep. They have spent the last couple of months in a field lent to me by a nearby farmer. My own  pastures suffered in this summer’s drought and by June the grass, which had been grazed down, had stopped growing. 

Enjoying the hay if not the grass. They have put on more
condition since this photograph was taken.

The sheep had some new grass for a time but then I inevitably had to start feeding hay supplemented by a little hard feed as the dry period continued. However, I still had the additional benefit of resting my own fields and hopefully reducing the worm burden. Being just half a mile away, it was not a problem making twice daily visits to the sheep.

With the return of some rain my fields have gradually greened up again. However, the dandelions seem to have responded more vigorously than the grass and, in one of the fields in particular, their fresh green leaves have formed quite an extensive mat. I’m hoping that the sheep will graze them down to allow the grass to come through. If that doesn’t work I might need to do something more radical to ensure the pasture is in good condition for next spring.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you not use bag manure/granulated fertilizer on your fields Phillip? A farmer friend I knpw paid a contractor to put dilute slurry on his fields to get a second cut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best grass on our smallholding was the area we cut regularly for the campsite! It was very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete