Monday 25 March 2019

Parallel lines

Its always a particularly busy time of the year with so much going on, and today was no exception. I have a fortunate (in my view) mix of ways I spend my time each day. Today was busy but not frenzied. Everything carried out in an orderly sequence. Apart from the regular daily routine smallholding tasks (of which there are a fair few) here is what I was up to. 

On the one hand:-
- Inseminating a sow
- Collecting up fallen twigs and small branches that have fallen in to the grazing fields from the tree-lined boundary
- Harrowing the fields to hopefully improve grass growth (we need rain in these parts)
- Planting out the broad beans plants which I sowed in pots three weeks ago (reliable Aquadulce Claudia)
- Planting out onion sets (Stuttgarter)
- Sowing cauliflower in modules (White Excel)
- Periodically checking the new lambs and the two ewes who are yet to deliver (update to follow)

On the other hand:-
- Finished reading the final draft thesis of a Phd student I am supervising
- Wrote a magazine article (it didn't take long because I've been thinking about it for some time so it was all in my head by the time it came to write it).
- Commenced reading a new 'downstairs book', a biography of Somerset Maugham. (I usually have two books on the go. My 'upstairs book'  - that is, bedtime reading - is Don Quixote. Some get put off by classics in case they are heavy going, but this is a surprisingly light and amusing read).
- Following the latest Brexit shenanigans.

Tomorrow will probably be very similar. I hope it is.








3 comments:

  1. Shenanigans is a good word for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a very busy man. I started some of my onion sets off in plastic modules in the tunnel when it was wet and cold outside. I was really impressed with their root socks when I planted them outside the other day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the same Dave after I potted up winter onion sets in the autumn. They had well developed roots when I planted them out. I’ve done the same with some extra spring planted sets the other day in case I need to fill in any gaps in the rows.

    ReplyDelete