Friday 27 March 2020

Premier greens

At the beginning of January I mentioned that I had planted out a late sowing of pak choi in the greenhouse. We have been eating the mature plants for a couple of weeks now and there is still plenty more to come. However, we will have to finish them off soon as I will be needing the greenhouse space for summer crops. For me pak choi is the premier leafy green vegetable and well worth growing. 

One pak choi plant picked for today's dinner in an
admittedly somewhat posed picture. You can see in the
colander that the plants are beginning to flower. It all
goes into the wok. 

Aside from the pak choi, I picked the last three red cabbages which have stood well in the ground over the winter. These were finely chopped and put in the freezer after a rapid blanch. The last of the  leeks and celery have just been
finished but we still have some parsnips in the ground. And of course potatoes and onions in storage which will see us through to this year's crops.


3 comments:

  1. They look really healthy. What do you feed the soil where the pak Choi grows Philip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plant them out in the greenhouse where the tomatoes grew during the summer. I just fork in some of my compost and a sprinkling of pelleted chicken manure and then that's eat apart from watering.

    ReplyDelete