Saturday 4 April 2020

Lamb update

Seven of our breeding ewes have lambed so far with 10 lambs between them. There is one more ewe to go and although she looks pregnant she seems some way off giving birth. She must have played hard-to-get when the ram was in with them last autumn.

One lamb I had to deliver was breech and legs all-a-tangle. Sadly the ewe, which was our oldest in the flock, did not survive beyond the next day having needed to be put to sleep by the vet. This left us with an orphan ewe lamb which requires bottle feeding four times per day. We kept it in our utility room for the first week as the overnight temperatures were below freezing most days and she had no mother to keep her warm. She is out in the field with all the others now but follows me around close on my heels if I am out there with them.

Today the sun is out and temperatures are beginning to feel more spring-like at last, and right now the ewes and their lambs are dotted around in their family groups. Later this afternoon the lambs will have a burst of energy and run and jump around together in a big group. I'm hoping our orphan lamb will begin to join in too.



Bottle fed four times a day
Some of the lambs out in the sun with their mothers
The orphan spotted me across the vegetable plot and started
calling out to me. I was on my way to feed her in any case.

10 comments:

  1. She obviously loves her Daddy!
    I must search out the photo I have of youngest daughter and some friends bottle feeding - great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to remind her she is a sheep, Sue

      Delete
  2. We used to sing "All in the April Evening" when I was much younger - and I always think of that when I see lambs in the fields around Easter time. This year we will not be able to make our post-Easter trip to Norfolk, for obvious reasons -nor travel to Manchester at the end of the month when our new grandson arrives. What strange times we are living through. But new life brings hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange times and an unusual Easter to come Angela but signs of new life and renewal are all around despite whatever else is happening in the world.

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I know it's a silly question to ask a farmer, but do they thrive on cow's milk, or do you feed some sort of sheep formula?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you need special formula. So its back to mixing, warming the bottle in a jug and testing it on your wrist.

      Delete
  4. It must be very satisfying and lovely to raise your own small flock. Seeing new born lambs in springtime is joyous. I have some sympathy with the ram. A lot was being asked of the poor guy. Couldn't you have helped out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very satisfying. The ram does in fact seem very happy with his lot. He loses a bit of weight in the autumn with his exertions.

      Delete
  5. Great photos Philip. You look to have good soil. More veg plot pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of compost goes into my thin soil Dave. The bit of the vegetable plot in the photograph is my asparagus bed which gets a good helping of compost each winter. I'm expecting the spears to start coming through soon.

      Delete