Monday 27 December 2021

Harrow

For the last two or three months our neighbouring farmer has left a disc harrow on a field edge. It is used for breaking up clods of soil after ploughing ready for drilling. In this case I think it was last used following the wheat harvest to chop up the stubble to help it rot down more quickly before preparing the ground for the next crop. By the look of it, I suspect that it has been regularly used on the farm for many decades.

I walk past the harrow most days when walking the dog. It is small beer for a Massey-Fergusson but each time I walk by I wonder if I would be able to pull it long myself so I gave it a try today. I can't.





3 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that so many ancient agricultural words have become part of everyday speech. We "plough through the problems" and undergo "harrowing experiences".Both imply hard work, farming is not an easy job, even with modern equipment to help. On an unrelated note, there's a brilliant Australian TV series about a police pathologist starring Ioan Gruffudd (the gifted Welsh actor, whose name I always misspell) Hope you and your loved ones had a great Christmas and allis well on the small holding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I omitted to say the series is called "Harrow"

    ReplyDelete