Wednesday 23 March 2022

Anemone blanda

In the corner of the patio there are some steps down to the garden and other areas of the holding, so I pass by this spot numerous times a day. The last few days a sprinkling of vivid blue Anemone blanda have suddenly appeared on this corner. They look particularly well against the yellow daffodils that emerge in the same spot and are flowering at the same time. Another incident that gladdens the heart as you go about your daily routine.

They will die back during the Summer and will reliably return next Spring. They are underplanting a lace cap hydrangea whose flowers comprise different shades of pink. I don't know the variety but it is impressive when in full flower and it flowers for quite a few weeks. This will dominate the corner for much of the Summer. In the photograph below, the hydrangea is just beginning to come into leaf. The freshly emerged leaves can be a little frost-tender but if they get singed, as they did last year with late frosts, it generally recovers.





4 comments:

  1. They are such a vivid blue! Anemone means wind-flower. That is the sum total of my knowledge of these blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was intrigued by the suffix “blanda” as that is the opposite of what they are. But apparently it means charming which is more like it.

      Delete
  2. That photograph is really useful; I have some anemome corms to put in, and I now know to put them under the dry sticks of the salvia 'hotlips' to bring some spring colour. Yours look lovely there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsten. Although I have not grown it myself I am familiar with Salvia 'Hot Lips'. There are many fine salvias in that group of plants.

      Delete