Friday 8 April 2022

Potato matters

 Today I finally got around to planting the early potatoes. Not that we particularly aspire to an early crop. We will use some later in the summer for 'salad' potatoes but the two early varieties I planted out today store very well and will be used over next autumn and winter. Most of the earlies  will in practice be harvested at the same time as the main crop potatoes. Our aim is to grow enough potatoes to see us through the year until the next harvest is available. In fact, it is a few years since we have had to buy any potatoes.

The first variety is 'Charlotte', in my view the pre-eminent potato of all and if I was confined to growing only one variety then this would be it.

The second variety I planted today was 'Red Duke of York'. This was introduced to me by smallholder friend John a few years ago and I have grown it ever since. The reason why I grow this every year is that, whatever qualities of a 'new potato' it might have, it makes the very best roast potatoes. It also stores very well and we have only just finished using up last summer's crop.

I'll plant the main crop potatoes later in the month. I have two varieties to plant. I could not find 'Pink Gypsy' which I have grown for the last two years and which we have been very impressed with. Instead, I have reverted to 'Picasso' which I used to regularly grow. This is a reliable heavy cropper which cooks well whatever the chosen method.

The second main crop is 'Pink Fir Apple' . A bit too knobbly for many peoples' liking but there is no need to peel them. They have a yellowish, firm texture and make first rate salad potatoes if you are happy to eat that in winter time. They boil well too. We like them very much.


Pink Fir Apple



No comments:

Post a Comment