Saturday 2 July 2022

Sawing a shed in half

Today I sawed a shed in half. As part of the preparations for making some changes in anticipation of avian flu restrictions next winter, I needed to reduce the height of one of our hen houses. We sometimes use an ordinary 6'x4' garden shed with a few modifications as this can be cheaper than making a purpose built hen house if you can find a good deal. They are about 7' high to the top of the apex roof, higher still if the shed is raised off the ground. This is too high for what I have planned so I needed to reduce the height. 

By cutting it half way I could make two houses by adding a new floor to one and a new roof to the other. The question was how to cut it in half. The idea of just cutting round with a circular saw seemed far too simplistic and impractical. However, this is what I did and had the two halves sorted within 20 minutes. I just need to make good for them to go into service.



 

4 comments:

  1. The avian flu thing is a worry. Spreading to wild birds rather than from wild birds I heard which is the opposite to how I thought it started all those winters years ago and all year round. It sounds as if it will have to be back to barn hens for eggs which is sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for the time being its here to stay. Suffolk was particularly badly affected this Winter.

      Delete