Monday 20 February 2023

Sow, sow, sow time

A little later than I had intended (but actually with plenty of time to spare still), I commenced sowing some of this season's tender crops: aubergine 'Genie', sweet pepper 'New Ace', sweet pepper 'Demetra', chilli pepper 'Tabasco'. These have all been put into a heated propagator in the utility room. I also sowed some banana shallots 'Zebrune' which are being started off in the greenhouse. Lots more to follow over the ensuing days and weeks.

The vegetable plots have been mulched, fruit trees pruned, berry bushes cut back and new canes tied in, hedges trimmed, seed potatoes are chitting and the asparagus bed ready for the off. Still to do is tidying up the flower borders, some shrub pruning and, once the winter crops are cleared, cleaning the greenhouse glass.

Today I finished off making the barn ready for the expectant ewes. I'll bring them in next week. 

There's always lots more jobs to do, of course, but the main Winter tasks are complete so I will be able to keep focused on sowing, pricking out, sowing, potting on, sowing, planting out and sowing.  








2 comments:

  1. I'm waiting a week or so before I start sowing - need to avoid having to carry things in to the house and out to the greenhouse for too long when they have grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know the problem! The last two years we have hade quite late frosts to which messes things up a bit as well.

      Delete