Thursday 23 May 2019

A cow parsley wedding

We got married in the month of May sometime last century. It was a small, modest event although the ceremony did take place in a church (for sacramental reasons rather than social ostentation). My brother-in-law was tasked by my mother to pick large quantities of cow parsley which were then in full flower. He thought it a bit odd to pick this hedgerow weed but did what he was asked to do. 

My mother died a year ago. Arguably, her finest achievement, along with my father, was to bring up ten well-mannered children. She had, perhaps understandably in the circumstances, a somewhat unfulfilled artistic eye. All the window sills the length of the church on both sides were decorated with the lacey blooms of white cow parsley. It was a very impressive sight. So simple; so impactful.

As Paul Evans in The Guardian Country Diary column once called it: now "is the cow parsley moment, its blooms making foam waves against hawthorn hedges along the road". I always look forward to this annual decoration.



Because I am deficient in technical ability as well as hardwear, I've taken the
liberty of using this fine photograph of roadside cow parsley by Pete Birch.




8 comments:

  1. I can imagine how strikingly elegant the church decorations must have been. It's a great idea. In fact I heard it suggested on the radio for wedding bouquets - must have been around this time last year. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cow Parsley. It is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write in a wonderful way Philip. There are a lot of wild flowers or weeds that are incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Dave; we just need to notice them. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I was taught that one of the old names is Queen Anne's Lace. Much more elegant than Cow Parsley, or the old Midlands name "Keck". How beautiful for a wedding

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven’t come across the term ‘Keck’ before. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete