Friday 3 May 2019

Not just a smell


When our children were young and the nearby fields had muck spread on them, or when we passed some farm land in the car after muck spreading, there would be a chorus of “ewwww!” from them. Hands would smother noses and mouths accompanied by agonised writhing on the back seat. I would of course take a deep breath through my nose and exclaim “marvellous” or something similar. This would prompt another chorus of “ewwww!”. 

I’m reminded of this because muck spreading has been taking place near us in the last few days. Although I have to admit the odour is not in my top ten favourite smells, at the same time it has also never troubled me much. For a start it is only temporary. Also, the smell is not that noxious to the senses. The manure comes from herbivores and does not, in me at least, evoke the same level of disgust as the far more intense smell of carnivore droppings of, for example, the dog or cat. Nor, dare I say, of  the omnivorous outputs of humans.

One other reason why I think the smell of the muck spreader feels to me relatively benign is that I smell it in its wider context. For many years as a keen gardener I’ve valued manure and compost, and gone to some lengths producing it or digging it in to condition the soil. As an old Channel 4 TV series had it, its All Muck and Magic. For me, it’s about being aware of soil condition and enrichment, whether carried out by a home gardener or a farmer. It’s not just a smell.




7 comments:

  1. I've always said that's the smell of the Future of Countryside. Without muck we don't have local fertilizers and crops would be suffering or farmers need to buy fertilizers. As long as people will eat dairy, meat and eggs this smell needs to be here, farm animals will produce manure.
    But I also have a poor sense of smell (which is not a good thing), so maybe I'm not getting the worst of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have very light sandy soil and it can take as much manure as can put into it.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps you could pop round and have a word with some of the folks around here who move out of the city for that idyllic country life and then complain that the smell of muck spreading has got into their curtains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muck spreading is part of the idyll Maggie.

      Delete
  3. Muck and Magic was a great gardening programme.

    I like muck spreaders not so keen on slurry though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleased you can remember it Dave as it only had a short run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob Flowerdew is one of my tv gardener heroes. Not forgetting Geoffrey Smith and Geoff Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete