Tuesday 22 February 2022

Local wildlife

In the farmland across the road from our smallholding, where I walk the dog, a herd of roe deer are frequently to be seen  grazing the young shoots of wheat. Each year  they turn up late winter time and remain until the autumn. I've counted up to 15 in this herd. Today I tried to take a photograph of a group of six about 100 yards distant. Too far for a decent shot with a phone camera. They were staring straight back at me ready to run if I came any closer. Here's the photograph. You can make out the deer in the centre. Not much of a wildlife photograph. But what a sky! A typical fenland view.



Better luck with swans. In the brief interlude between Eunice and Franklin on Saturday I had to nip into Mildenhall. This photograph of a group of swans is taken next to Sainsbury's car park not far from the High Street. The line of trees at the back marks the bank of the River Lark which flows from Bury St Edmunds and eventually into the Great Ouse at Prickwillow, which in turn flows into The Wash at Kings Lynn.

The swans are heading directly towards me. I was no attraction but just in front, out of shot, was a very large puddle and several of them stopped there for a drink.





No comments:

Post a Comment