Friday 17 June 2022

Night noises

Now and again our golden retriever, Spice, wakes up in the middle of the night and the usual cause is that she has been disturbed by loud, raucous barking that has a relentless persistence about it. In the pitch darkness in the early hours there is indeed a chilling quality to the sound. The source of the barking is from a muntjac which are a very common sight around here. 

It happened again a couple of nights ago and it sounded very close by, so I went out with a torch to see if I could usher it away. It was just across the boundary dyke. All I could see were two illuminated green eyes staring back at me. It paused for a few seconds before resuming its call where it had left off. I found a You Tube video which reproduces the familiar sound.




No comments:

Post a Comment