Saturday 10 December 2022

An unexpected sight on a freezing December morning

Early this morning I made a bonfire to clear the mountain of prunings, bits of rotten wood and un-reusable timber which has accumulated since last Winter. Although it was freezing temperatures, it was otherwise ideal conditions with only the slightest of breezes taking any smoke across the fields away from the house and the road.

As I grabbed the next armful of brush wood from the heap to my surprise there was a peacock butterfly which flapped its wings when I disturbed it but did not take off in flight. 

Some butterflies do hibernate over Winter, peacocks among them. They produce the first generation of butterflies in the following Spring and early Summer. That is one reason why peacock butterflies are one of the earliest  butterflies to see in the year in England.  Nevertheless, given the freezing temperatures over the last few days and that we are well into December, it was an unexpected sight. I wonder if the warmth of the nearby bonfire woke it up.

I carried the piece of wood it was settled on and placed it in a protective area in the barn. It will now have to do its best to survive the Winter.



 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely photograph! Interesting bit of trivia... peacock butterflies may rub their wings together to "hiss" and deter predators. Fingers crossed this one survives the winter in your barn. Thank you for making the effort to save this little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. I'll listen out next year when they are out and about again.

      Delete
  2. Now I too shall listen for Hissing Peacocks!!

    ReplyDelete