Thursday 22 December 2022

Some thoughts on growing runner beans

With the passing of the Winter Solstice thoughts naturally turn to collating next season's seed order. Actually, I had to call into Wilkos yesterday and it was apparent, with Christmas nearly out of the way for the retail-minded, their new seed delivery was now on display. Wilko sell their seeds very cheaply compared to the more august seed companies. They might not stock particular sought after varieties but for vegetable seed staples they're fine: Cauliflower 'All the Year Round', Parsnips 'White Gem'; Cabbage 'Greyhound'; Leeks 'Musselburgh'; Onion Spring  'White Lisbon'; Sweet Corn 'Swift'; Broad Bean 'The Sutton'; Climbing French Bean 'Blue Lake'; Dwarf French Bean 'Ferrari'; Courgette; Butternut Squash. All purchased for £1 each. I'll make up the rest of the vegetable and flower seed order, which require greater deliberation, from the seed companies.

However, when it comes to that stalwart of the vegetable plot, runner beans, I'm considering, for the first time in perhaps three decades, not growing them in 2023. I like runner beans, especially when picked in their prime. For me, the variety 'White Lady' is the best. Runner beans can be a prolific crop so freezing them for use during the Winter is a sensible thing to do. They taste fine and are a useful back-up, but there is no denying that there is some loss in flavour. 

The problem is that when runner beans are at their best and growing aplenty there are lots of other fresh green vegetables competing for space on the plate. And as much as I like runner beans I think French beans have the edge. I also think the latter freeze better too.

This Summer I deliberately left more of the runner beans than usual unpicked. I picked them late when the seeds had developed. After leaving them to dry out I harvested the beans. These will be used for chilli con carne, adding to stews and for mixed bean salads. I grow other types of bean for the same purpose so maybe this is a reason for growing runner beans with intentionality. There is plenty of time to change my mind, of course, as I have lots of saved seeds.




2 comments:

  1. My runner beans started out with promise, climbing up the pyramid. Then failed. I may attempt French Beans instead this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find French beans a bit more reliable compared to runners so well worth trying these instead if space is limited.

      Delete