Thursday 25 April 2019

Lillies of the field

Looking after a largish space in a rural location means that a suburban manicured look is neither possible, desirable nor appropriate. Inevitably there will be areas that are overgrown and where nature is in control. It also means that wild flowers have an opportunity to flourish if given the chance. Even in the sheep fields, the process of grazing promotes a habitat that some flowers favour. 

My knowledge of wild flowers is perhaps little better than average and I not uncommonly feel shamed by a lack of ability to identify some flowers I come across. Strangely enough I’m much better at identifying cultivated plants than wild flowers which doesn’t seem right. I’m not necessarily referring to showy or dramatic plants but more often than not flowers that could easily go unnoticed but nevertheless are of intrinsic beauty if the time is taken to observe them. 

But common troublesome weeds should not be rejected out of hand. The soldierly ranks of nettles marching their way across the boundary still have their role to play, not least as a host plant for butterflies. On the surface bind weed produces pretty flowers but (woe to them) underneath, their pernicious roots reflect their true natures and they are liable to condemn their neighbours to a strangulating death. The promiscuous dandelion provides a useful source of nectar for bees so I would not wish to be the first to throw weed killer at them. Despite their perceived shortcomings such weeds have a place and are all equal in  nature.

These aside, there are regular moments of great beauty through the seasons as different native plants, otherwise untended, come into flower. Today, for example, seemingly out of nowhere, one area of mowed, but weed killer and fertiliser free, grass is densely sprinkled with small pink stars. This is in fact one I do know: the ubiquitous Herb Robert (geranium robertianum). It caught the eye because of its sheer abundance. It is an example of the effortless beauty of wild flowers which come and go without a care in the world.




I’m going to try and make more of an effort to at least be able to identify the wild flowers on my plot and in the vicinity, and from time to time I’ll share my revelations here.


4 comments:

  1. I have some of that growing at the base of my fig. I knew it was a sort of geranium, but now I've learned it is"Herb Robert". I shan't tell my other half that an alternative name is "Stinking Bob" though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does give off a distinctive smell if you crush the leaves.

      Delete
  2. Where nettles grow. Anything will grow. Is an old saying.

    I make my garden tea with them and the tomatoes and cucumbers love it.

    Ground Elder is said to have been introduced by the Romans. Supposed to be good for arthritis. There are so many uses for these so called weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m going to have a go at making nettle string later in the year, Dave.

    ReplyDelete