Monday 11 October 2021

Celeriac

I've not had a lot of success growing celeriac; they fail to bulb up. This year is better, although they are still a fairly modest size. The first two I picked today, pictured below, are about the size of tennis balls. They have the advantage of being able to sit in the ground over winter, and like parsnips, the taste is reputedly enhanced after being subject to frost.

For dinner I simply cooked the celeriac as mash. There are lots of complicated looking recipes for celeriac to be found online and like many workaday vegetables, when 'discovered' by chefs, can be subject to gentrification potentially putting a recipe out of reach of the average kitchen (we're clean out of truffle butter at the moment). Later in the week I will make remoulade made from raw grated celeriac and looks simple enough.




3 comments:

  1. I really like celeriac (bought, not home grown) I made a fish pie for lunch yesterday with a lively celeriac topping. My daughter introduced me to remoulade. I agree, the simple recipes are the best. I can't be doing with "cheffy faffing about"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should imagine celeriac goes very well with fish pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delicious! it is a recipe from Michael Mosleys 8 week blood sugar diet

      Delete