Saturday 23 October 2021

Gate posts

Daughter Lucy and D-in-L Amy visiting this weekend so a perfect opportunity to press on and replace a rotten gate post. A few month's ago some of the posts that carry our electricity supply cables were replaced and the chap in charge was happy to leave the old posts for me. Our neighbouring farmer, who also bagged one, helped carry them into our property with his tractor. 

One of the posts I chained sawed into 8' lengths. I have already used one for a replacement gate post for a field gate. Today a second one was utilised in the same way. This involved digging a 3' 6" deep hole. I have had to use some cement because our soil is so sandy. Because they are old 'telegraph' poles they are soaked in creosote or oil and so I doubt rotting off will be a problem in the future.


The cut down telegraph pole in place with Lucy
looking on. You can see how sandy our sub-soil 
from the heap behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment