Thursday 28 October 2021

Liquid fertiliser

 

Lots of small jobs around the smallholding completed today. One of which was bottling up liquid manure for next year. I have a large lidded container in which I soak a pillowcase, like a giant teabag, containing a mixture of manure and comfrey leaves. This has been stewing since the Spring. I can retrieve the the bag as it is tied up with a length of baler twine which is fixed to a post adjacent to the container. 

I was able to fill eight 2 litre milk containers full. When it is used as a liquid fertilizer I dilute it roughly 1:10. It is obviously not scientifically formulated but I am sure makes a useful dietary supplement for greenhouse crops, container grown plants and, this summer, feeding a lawn. Its also a sustainable product re-circulating components from the holding. And its free.

I gave the lettuces (Little Gem) and spinach leaves growing in the greenhouse for winter harvesting a feed while I was at it too.








No comments:

Post a Comment