Friday 22 October 2021

More bulbs

I planted forty Japanese onion sets individually in 3" pots today to get them started. They will stay in a cold frame for a while and I'll plant them out when they have put on some growth. In the Spring more onions will follow. The aim is to produce enough onions (which we use a lot of) to see us through a whole year. Unless things go terribly wrong we are normally able to achieve this. One advantage of starting them in pots is that it overcomes the problem of birds pulling out the newly planted sets invariably resulting in gap in the rows.  

When I was in Wilko yesterday looking for some Hammarite paint I looked to see what bulbs they have left now that all the Halloween paraphernalia has overtaken much of the shelf space. I found some 'White Prince' tulips. I had a good spot in mind where they could go to form a bright spot in a north facing bed when they flower in late Spring. These went in today as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment