Saturday 9 October 2021

Self-seeded lavender

The lavender photographed today and pictured below has been in flower continuously since the end of June which is pretty good going. What is particularly interesting about this plant is that it is self-seeded. I have grown lavender from cuttings before and I have grown them from seed from a bought packet. More often than not I have planted  mature lavender plants from a garden centre. I've not come across a self-seeded lavender before. 

I spotted the newly emerged growth back in March or April. It had self-seeded in some shingle that edged this bit of the patio. Beneath the shingle is concrete. Yet the lavender has been able to draw sufficient nutrient to not only grow but to flourish. This is despite the summer heatwave and prolonged dry spell we experienced. 

When I first noticed the lavender I was tempted to pot it up to grow on to plant in a border. I am glad I resisted this temptation and the decision to leave it to its own devices because it has done rather better than many border-planted lavenders that have been mollycoddled along. This one I have not fed, watered or otherwise interfered with. All I have done is admire it.




3 comments:

  1. A little while ago (beginning of Julyl we got 25 lavender "plugs" (long story, some sort of freebie with an insurance policy) They arrived ALL DEAD! We complained, sent photos, and received 25 more.(mid August) Half of them died almost immediately. A dozen have survived, I've planted them in 3 troughs, hoping they will survive and grow, then I'll transplant them into my front border. They seem to be still alive, but not growing very fast. Gone from ½" to 2". Is that what I should expect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ang
    If they were half inch plugs that is very small so to grow to 2 inches at the end of the summer sounds about right. They should be fine to over winter in a trough so long as the compost mixture is reasonably free draining. They won't like being too water-logged. You could top dress with some horticultural grit to help protect the young stems. They will still be a bit on the small side to plant out so I would wait until at least late spring and they are growing strongly.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philip. I did wonder if the compost wasn't free draining enough. This advice was really helpful, thank you. I'm concentrating mostly on my raised bed at the moment. Really excited to see spinach and winter lettuce leaves developing - discovering that gardening is addictive!

      Delete