Sunday 13 November 2022

A shimmer of green

Anyone who has sown seeds before, whether a novice gardener or with years of experience, will be familiar with the feeling of hopeful expectation followed by a mild flutter of delight when the seeds germinate and tiny green shoots poke out of the soil or compost. This has certainly been the case for me when I sowed a new lawn ten days ago. The feeling was accentuated because I was sowing a 25m x 4m area of lawn and also taking a gamble in sowing much later in the year than advisable. I was counting on the mild weather persisting and the claim that the variety of seed I had ordered can germinate at lower temperatures. If the seed failed to take I would have to wait until next March or April before I could try again. It would also mean a  further outlay of £35 for more seed, admittedly a snip compared to the cost of a couple of pallets of turf for an immediate and certain result.

I pass the new lawn area several times a day but I deliberately tried to avert my eyes each time under the watched pot principle. This afternoon, however, when I made a sideways glance, I saw a slight shimmer of green which was not previously evident. Closer inspection revealed fresh green shoots of grass coming up nicely. Fortunately the seed has fallen on rich soil and so should multiply a hundred fold.




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes - very pleased. Were you tempted to sow under your walnut tree, or perhaps in the Spring?

      Delete
  2. I listened to an interesting radio interview recently all about grass - the guy said we in the UK will need to return some of the older varieties in coming years as they will cope better with long hot summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats sounds about right even though grass is amazingly resilient. We may have to think more carefully about what we plant, both edibles and ornamentals.

      Delete