Thursday 17 November 2022

Signet update

Today was grey, wet, cold and windy. Archetypal November in contrast to the mild days of late. Yesterday the sun came out for a time and so I was able to look around rather than have my head down and shoulders hunched when walking the dog.

I came across the pair of swans and their signets I have posted about a few times this year in a nearby dyke. I saw the eggs in the nest, the signets sitting on mum's back when they were a day or two old, and a few times later in the Summer as they grew. There were eight originally but yesterday there were only four. It might be that they are reaching the age when they strike out independently, but predation is just as likely. One hopes, at least, that they avoid avian flu. It was good to see them, much larger now and with white feathers beginning to come through.


One of the four remaining signets
   

No comments:

Post a Comment