Thursday 3 November 2022

Sowing a new lawn

With the hens confined by avian flu regulations, which will certainly last until  at least next April or May if not for even longer, the large area in which they previously ranged is currently vacant. It used to be grass but sixty or more chickens soon scratch it clear of vegetation. Whilst the area is free I plan some alterations which include re-seeding part of it to return it to grass. 

The space I want to re-seed is approximately 25 meters by 4 meters. The chickens have effectively dug it over and in doing so levelled the ground. They have also de-weeded and manured it. All I have had to do by way of preparation is to collect up fallen twigs and branches and rake up leaves and other debris. In the process I created a fine tilth for sowing the grass seed in. 

Grass seed generally requires temperatures of about 9 - 12 degrees centigrade to geminate. September and early October is usually a good time to sow grass whilst the soil retains some warmth and is moist from Autumn rains. I could not take advantage of that window of opportunity, however, because I had to wait for the walnut harvesting to be completed as this involved tramping around the target area everyday. Although we are now into November the temperatures are still holding up and according to the forecast this looks to continue for the next couple of weeks. 

In any case, I ordered some grass seed from a grass seed merchant which reputedly germinates at lower temperatures (as low as 5 degrees centigrade). I ordered the grass seed yesterday around mid-day and it arrived this morning. After lunch I sowed it, barely 24 hours after ordering it. I ordered 5kg which was just enough for the area to be sowed. It conveniently rained all morning before brightening up so the ground was suitably moistened ready for the grass seed. 

All I have to do now is to wait, and remember not to walk on it.




3 comments:

  1. I too need to resow under the walnut tree but hesitate as though the nuts are down, the leaves are still there. Will you let your leaves lie on the newly sown lawn over winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This issue has crossed my mind. Some of the leaves have already fallen. Walnut tree leaves seem to rot down quite quickly. They are also big so more likely to blow away in the wind. There are no frosts expected in the next couple of weeks which can cause a sudden leaf drop. Hopefully the seed will have geminated before any frost arrive which should see them on their way successfully after that and maybe tolerate a raking if necessary. Grass is so resilient. A light scattering of leaves won't be a problem but a think blanket would be. All the reason why I overcame my own reservations!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. Could you do an update in spring to let me know how it worked out?

      Delete