Wednesday 9 November 2022

Gazing at the moon

At this time of the year, when I am finishing up routine afternoon livestock-related tasks, it is already beginning to get dark. Looking across the neighbouring field today I saw an enormous moon rising. It was almost golden. I believe, in fact, yesterday was a full moon but this looked full enough for me. It is at times like this that I wish I possessed a real camera (and maybe some photography skills too) rather than making a passing shot with my phone. So the photo here does not fully capture how stunning the Moon looked today.


The Moon, 9th November 2022

Instead, here is a poem from the Tang Dynasty by Zhang Jiuling (678-740). The Chinese attach much symbolism to the Moon, more so than the Sun. After Chinese New Year or Spring Festival, the Mid- Autumn Festival, which includes the sharing of Mooncakes, is their most important celebration of the year. The poem conveys the constancy of the Moon amidst whatever life might bring. For those who are separated they can gaze at the same Moon wherever they are.


Gazing at the Moon, Longing from Afar by Zhang Jiuling

The moon, grown full now over the sea,

Brightening the whole of Heaven,

Brings to separated hearts,

The long thoughtfulness of night.

It is no darker though I blow out my candle.

It is no warmer though I put on my coat.

So I leave my message with the moon

And turn to my bed, hoping for dreams.



2 comments:

  1. My grandchildren are fond of the phrase "I love you to the moon and back" (spoken by the Hare in the 2008 book'Guess how much I love you') Thank you for sharing that beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete