Saturday 27 August 2022

Orange, black and white hairy caterpillar

I was watering the plants I am growing on in the cold frame today and saw this colourful caterpillar on one of them. 

After examining photos online and reading about their habitat and lifecycle I have concluded it is the caterpillar of the Knot Grass Moth. Apparently quite common and widely distributed across the UK. It is very similar to the caterpillar of the Yellow Tail and the Brown Tail moths but all in all I am sticking with the Knot Grass Moth. But happy to be corrected.

The adult moths can be seen between May and July and there is a second brood in August and September which fits with the caterpillar found today. The caterpillar feeds on herbaceous plants so this one turned up trumps in my cold frame. 

The adult Knot Grass Moth looks like this (courtesy of UKmoths.org.uk).




1 comment:

  1. I read a quote from The Little Prince this week: “I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies.” I think in this case the opposite is more apt ... although of course I don't know what the caterpillar was eating and how much it left for you! ;o)

    I am intrigued by your tip re. dehydrating plums. I can't give them away fast enough and another load is promised for tomorrow! I looked online and it seemed that, unless one has a dehydrating machine, you have to leave the fruit in the oven for something like 15 hours! Is this true?!

    ReplyDelete